A doctor recommends X-rays or blood tests or other diagnostic checks before treating your specific medical condition symptoms. All the tests are normal, still, you suffer. Different healthcare approach to consider include –
* Conventional – In a conventional approach, the treatment plan is based on behavior or symptoms instead of the disorder cause.
* Holistic – In a holistic medicine approach, treatment concentrates on the entire body, mind, and spirit.
* Naturopathy – In the Naturopathy model, focus on nature-care including diet, detoxification, lifestyle changes, and other natural involvements.
* Integrative – Integrative medicine approach integrates conventional and non-conventional modalities.
* Functional – It is a personalized, integrative approach that involves understanding the root cause, prevention, and management of complicated chronic diseases.
What is functional medicine [FM]?
Functional Medicine is a patient-centered approach designed to help people enjoy vibrant health. You can say the treatment is –
* By cause and not by symptoms
* By organism and not by organ
For example, functional medicine doctors call head pain like migraine and stomach pain as reflux. The causes of medical conditions are different and multiple, so the treatments need to be different and tailored.
A functional medicine specialist works with their patients to gain insight into the condition and create an effective care plan. It helps to gain relief from symptoms and avert the condition from getting worse.
Functional medicine versus other healthcare approaches
Conventional medicine is the foundation of functional medicine. It is holistic in how patients and their problems are perceived. The basic concepts of naturopathy are included within its system.
FM even integrates the broadmindedness of integrative medicine, while deciding the efficient modality necessary to treat the patient successfully. It can be noted that FM is built on all the different healthcare approaches. Currently, it is an efficient medical approach gaining popularity.
Why is functional medicine needed?
There are several reasons the functional model is necessary.
* Majority of physicians practice acute care-oriented medicine system including diagnosis and treatment plan that suppresses the symptoms.
* Unfortunately, the acute-care approach lacks the proper methods and tools necessary to treat and prevent complicated chronic diseases.
* There is a vast gap between basic science research and how doctors need to integrate it into their medical practice, especially in chronic medical conditions.
* The majority of doctors are not sufficiently trained to evaluate the underlying cause of chronic disease. Besides, use strategies like diet, nutrition, and exercise to treat as well as prevent diseases in their patients and help them live a healthy life.
How functional medicine works?
First – On phone or video chat consultation
The FM specialists from Revitalize Rehab Club schedule an initial video or phone consult to discuss the patients’ medical history, main complaints, and symptoms along with other aspects like exercise patterns, diet & nutrition, lifestyle, traumas, or exposure to toxins. They determine necessary lab tests for understanding your condition in-depth.
Second – In-person consultation [Two sessions]
A – Case review
The next appointment is in-person where the specialist will review your tests and other factors that can possibly impact your body functions like genetics, lifestyle choices, and environmental influences. The doctor aims to figure the root cause.
The disease may have more than a single imbalance, which needs care. For example, inflammation can be due to several conditions. The in-person treatment plan including diet, lifestyle changes, and supplements will be recommended. If necessary further testing can be prescribed!
Visit to a nutritionist is also recommended. Nutrition plays a huge role in your health. A personalized eating plan gets created to address nutrient deficiencies, reduce inflammation, support healthy microbiome, promote healthy weight as well as identify food allergies.
B – Physical therapy
Manual therapy is conducted to find out how your joints and muscles hold on. It is a safe treatment designed to reestablish functions and health.
* Visceral manipulation is used to support mobility and motility in your organs.
* The re-balancing of the Cranial-Sacral-Nerves helps the body to improve its connectivity.
* Lymphatic Visceral therapy helps the body to recover fast.
* Visceral Vascular flexing helps to enhance blood flow needed for quick healing.
The physiotherapist will give movement drills and exercise routine tailored to your specific needs.
Follow ups and treatment duration
Manual therapy check-in is after every 3 to 4 weeks because it helps body changes get tuned. Even a dietician appointment will be provided.
The FM specialist will recommend a lab and test routine after several months to get an idea of the progress. If you are performing better than your care will be concluded with the Revitalize Rehab Club.
The treatment length will depend on the patients’ medical condition. Several patients take longer…..Healing is a voyage, where the FM doctor will offer support on this route to wellness.
Who can consider functional medicine?
Today, people look for alternative medication because of their concern associated with side effects. Functional medicine approach can be beneficial to a variety of conditions like –
* Cardio-metabolic condition – Heart issues, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
* Digestive disorders – Acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic pancreatitis, diverticulosis, and ulcers.
* Neurological & psychiatric conditions – Migraines, attention deficit disorder, and depression.
* Skin disorders – Acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
* Auto-immune disease – Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
* Hormonal issues – Menopause, chronic fatigue, and thyroid conditions.
What is included in a personalized treatment plan?
The goal of functional medicine is to restore normal functions and balance. A personalized care plan includes –
* Detoxification programs
* Stress management
* Diet, workout, and lifestyle recommendations
* Nutritional supplements, botanical medications, and prescribed drugs
The plan is focused on helping patients reverse specific imbalances responsible for the chronic condition. Patients are even empowered to prevent chronic conditions from happening. For example, if there is a history of dementia in the family then the patient visits FM with a desire to prevent this disease.
Patients need to remember that functional medicine is not a quick solution. It is a process that includes an active patient prepared to put in hard work to make the treatment successful. Believe in the underlying philosophy that your body is capable to heal itself.